To get from where you are to where you want to be, you must focus.
The roadblock of focus is a stumbling block for many.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
I love the Disney movie called UP. Have you seen it? There is so much more to the story than boy meets girl. This is not just a cartoon for kids. It’s a real-life scenario of what life is like for many people. If you’ve never seen it, buy it here. I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do.
Throughout the movie, there are specially trained dogs who are tasked with chasing and capturing Carl and Russel because they have Kevin (the elusive Snipe). These dogs are easily distracted when someone yells, “Squirrel!”
In my home, we often say “squirrel” when we catch ourselves losing track of whatever task we are on. When I’m working on my goals I often find myself chasing squirrels.
Another movie that I love to quote is the newest Karate Kid. “Your focus needs more focus.” Mr. Han says this to Dray during his training. I say this to my daughter when she is distracted from her homework. I also say this to myself when I get busy doing something that is not in alignment with my list of things to do.
We can face the roadblock of focus in many ways.
- I believe that we lose our focus because we think that maybe there is something better elsewhere.
- Medical roadblocks and health ailments force us off track
- A sunny day calls us outside
- A rainy day forces us to stay home
- The kids are sick
- The house needs to be cleaned
- Social media is distracting
- Analysis paralysis keeps us from moving forward
- There are so many more excuses
We start the day by making a list of things to do but then…we get hungry so we go make a sandwich but then realize that the bologna outdated so we clean out the fridge but now the counters are a mess and plastic containers have to be washed but in the process now the floor is sticky and wet and the trash is full and the next thing you know two hours have passed and the kids are home from school, the dog needs walked, and your list sits on the desk – with nothing checked off.
The roadblock of focus is a big one in my life.
If I don’t make a list and force myself to stick to it, I will chase squirrels all day long. I’ll go from one chore to the next until the day is gone and I’m tired. My list will go unchecked as I sit in my chair – defeated.
Well, NO MORE! Now is the time, today is the day – stop chasing squirrels and start chasing your dreams.
If you want to live the life you’ve always dreamed of, you must learn to focus your efforts. Overcome the roadblock of focus with perseverance and SMART goals. Nobody ever runs a marathon the day they decide to become a runner.
The first step is to set SMART goals. Specific. Measurable. Actionable. Relevant. Time-Bound.
This is how I overcome the roadblock of focus using SMART goals.
- Name a Specific goal for the day.
- Find online jobs to apply to
- The Measurement of this goal is 3 jobs
- Don’t just find jobs but 3 specific jobs that I am qualified and willing to do
- The Action on this goal is:
- Search specific websites like
- Search specific websites like
- This goal is Relevant in my life right now because
- I need a job working from home
- I need an income
- Without a paycheck, I cannot pursue my dreams
- I have given myself a Time to achieve this goal
By making SMART goals I can achieve my daily, weekly, and monthly goals in a timely manner. I stay on track and stop chasing those squirrels! The refrigerator can wait until tomorrow.
If I can do it – so can you!
Start today by creating your own SMART goals and checking them off your list one by one. Before you know it, you’ll be living the life you’ve always dreamed of!